Friday, November 20, 2009

Wordzzle 90 - Passing inspection

This is my contribution to this week's Wordzzle. Wordzzle is a game in which each week word lists, used to create stories, are given on the blog Views from Raven's Nest. Participating users post their stories on their own blogs.

This is my entry number 34, for Wordzzle week 90.


Ten Word Challenge:

love is a many splendored thing,
trucks,
inspector,
symbols,
rising,
organic,
liberation,
costly,
smug,
naughty


"Love is a many splendored thing," said the inspector, counting his money, a smug look on his face. "It may seem like I have a rather naughty fondness for cash, but who doesn't? On the bright side, though it may seem costly, all your trucks have passed, and you have nothing to worry about now. I will give you the stickers to place on them, symbols of them having passed the tests, and all will be well. No one will know the difference."

I looked at him and at the money, my anger rising and falling like an organic thing. My face remained expressionless, though, and I still felt a hidden liberation at the knowledge that all the money was counterfeit.


Mini Challenge:

the nature of the beast,
identical,
charcoal,
braggart,
vacation


"I'm no braggart," he said, pouring gasoline on the charcoal, "but I'm the best when it comes to barbecuing. That's just the nature of the beast. No one's better than me, no one is identical to me, and no one even comes close. This will be a vacation to remember."

He was right, of course, though after the fire trucks left we ended up eating inside. The pizza was pretty good, too, and was delivered quickly.


Mega challenge:

love is a many splendored thing,
trucks,
inspector,
symbols,
rising,
organic,
liberation,
costly,
smug,
naughty


the nature of the beast,
identical,
charcoal,
braggart,
vacation


"No two are identical. When everything is handmade, that is the nature of the beast."

I looked at the faces carved in charcoal and encased in plastic. Some were of animals, and some were of people. They were intended to be comical paperweights, but they all seemed creepy somehow, like they were symbols of death and destruction. "Have you got anything else?"

"I have some tiny cacti in organic potting soil, with little naughty signs in front of them."

I sighed. "No, that's not quite it either. I was really looking for something else."

"I have some little toy trucks full of toy soldiers, with an assortment of stickers to go on the sides, for the liberation army of your choice."

"No. No. Something else."

"How about this?" he said, showing me a large fake police badge saying "Vice Inspector" with the phrase "Love is a many splendored thing" in a curve along the bottom.

"No, that's not it," I said, my voice rising in pitch.

"A hard one to please, I see. Well, I have something here that's a bit more costly, but well worth it. It's a laser-engraved oak plaque, trimmed in real silver."

I stared at it. It showed an old-fashioned outhouse by a stream. A crescent moon was cut into the door, which was partly open. A fishing pole projected from it, and a sign hung on the outhouse said "On Vacation."

I swallowed. My throat was suddenly dry, my voice hoarse. "I'll take it. It's perfect."

"I knew I could find something for you," he said smugly.

Let him be happy, I thought, as I walked away with my purchase, numb with elation. I didn't care. I had finally found the perfect trophy for the contest we were holding. The "My excuse to stay home from work is better than your excuse" Braggart Competition could now begin.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

What can I say? Wonderful as always. You made me laugh out loud this week. I think the first two were my favorites.

9:01 AM, November 22, 2009  
Blogger Argent said...

Your first story had a great twist at the end - serves that smug inspector right!

Your mini made me laugh. I knew something bad was likely to happen with all the bragging, but the punchline was delivered with real finesse.

And I love the idea of a braggart competition - must introduce this at work some time.

A really rewarding read as always. Yours are always worth waiting for!

11:40 AM, November 22, 2009  
Blogger Reston Friends! said...

All three stories had laugh out loud endings! It is always worth checking back to see if you've posted, Stephen!

5:54 PM, November 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts . . . . Older Posts