Friday, November 06, 2009

Wordzzle 88 - Who done it?

This is my contribution to this week's Wordzzle. Wordzzle is a game in which each week word lists, used to create stories, are given on the blog Views from Raven's Nest. Participating users post their stories on their own blogs.

This is my entry number 32, for Wordzzle week 88.


Ten Word Challenge:

Cute,
come with me to the Casba,
bloodhound,
respiration,
Facebook,
Canada Geese,
modern,
gravity,
spider webs,
sea shells


"Come with me to the Casba," whispered the bloodhound, in breathy respiration.

The Canadian geese listened attentively but didn't move, held down more by the spider webs than by gravity. A small dog with sea shells hanging from its ears said, "You looked much cuter on your Facebook page."

The bloodhound nodded in acknowledgement and said, "It's amazing what modern photo editing programs can do. It's a mystery to me why more folks don't use them."


Mini Challenge:

curiosity killed the cat,
charming Victorian,
railroad tracks,
tower,
salt and pepper


"Curiosity killed the cat," said the charming Victorian gentleman, as he poked at the salt and pepper gravel around the railroad tracks, "but even those who aren't the least bit curious die eventually." He turned and looked at me. "That's what happened to me, you know. I wasn't curious at all, I simply happened to fall out of a tower."

He continued to ramble on, but I was distracted by the sight of the body lying beside the tracks, a body knocked there by the recently passed train.

A body that looked very much like mine.


Mega challenge:

Cute,
come with me to the Casba,
bloodhound,
respiration,
Facebook,
Canada Geese,
modern,
gravity,
spider webs,
sea shells


curiosity killed the cat,
charming Victorian,
railroad tracks,
tower,
salt and pepper


"I used to sell sea shells by the sea shore, but someone stole them all," said the bloodhound. "You wouldn't know anything about that would you?"

"I know nothing at all about it," said the little dog, "and I got these sea shells from a perfectly reputable source."

"I was called away to try to solve a murder mystery," said the bloodhound. "Someone sprinkled salt and pepper all over the trail, though, and I lost the scent. When I returned, all my things were gone."

"It wasn't me! And I'm sorry you weren't able to find out who killed the cat!"

"Who said anything about a cat?"

"Why, er, I just assumed... Curiosity killed the cat, anyway. Everybody knows that!"

The bloodhound turned to the Canadian geese, who said, "It wasn't us! We've been stuck in the spider webs all day! And we wouldn't know a thing about a cat being thrown from a tower onto some railroad tracks!"

"Who said anything about a tower and railroad tracks?" said the bloodhound.

"I wasn't there when the cat's respiration ceased. I never saw her last breath, or any of the breaths before that," a charming Victorian gentleman said, almost invisible in the shadows of a doorway.

"Who said she was a female?" said the bloodhound.

"I just read her Facebook page," said a cute young woman dressed in modern clothes. "She didn't say anything about being dead."

"Who said anything about the cat having a Facebook page, and how could you find it without knowing who the cat was and what name she used?"

The bloodhound looked with great gravity at all of them, and they cowered away under the intensity of the look.

"Who said anything about the cat being dead?" said the cat, casually strolling in. They all turned to look at her. "Come with me to the Casba," she whispered to the bloodhound.

The bloodhound looked back at her. "I thought you'd never ask."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Argent said...

What a neatly compact 10-worder that conjured up some vivid images of bloodhounds with seashells dangling from their ears.

Your mini sent a shiver down my spine - brilliant!

And your third one was gorgeously surreal with its repetition of "who said anything about..." I could see this as a shgort aminated film.

You have produced three great reads this week!

12:43 PM, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Dr.John said...

Fantastic.
The three come together like a jigsaw puzzle.
Great writing

5:23 PM, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I love your mini - what a way to find out you're deceased! :0

The other two stories are surreal and fun. :)

4:41 AM, November 08, 2009  
Blogger Raven said...

Magically brilliant as always, culminating in one of my favorites ever in the mega conclusion. You have left me smiling. Thanks.

1:29 PM, November 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts . . . . Older Posts