Sunday, November 01, 2009

My GeoCities Guestbook

The original guestbook leave-a-comment page

The following is approximately how the original guestbook leave-a-comment page would have looked, but it was evidently unavailable for much of the time I was there, because it was replaced by another guestbook system. I didn't realize this until near the end, because I seldom tried to access that page. I have this information about the page only because I had the code for the page, and indeed the page itself, though when I tried to go to it through the link I got an error, because it tried to access other things that were no longer used by Yahoo. I do think I remember trying to access it a few times several years ago and got an error then, too, but attributed it to a problem on Yahoo's part. I don't remember if I ever noticed anything about the guestbook system being changed.

Active links have been changed from the originals to point to addresses on this blog. Any links that are part of the comments and appear in plain text form are just dummy test data and are not valid links, or at least were not intended to be.


Title: ADD Entry to Stephen Morgan's Guestbook


Welcome to my Guestbook! Please sign in and leave a message. The fields are optional. Fill in as many as you feel comfortable doing, but please leave some means of identifying you as a unique visitor, such as a nickname, even if the nickname is chosen solely for this site.

I read all messages. If you would like me to respond to a message, please leave your email address. Note that email addresses will be visible to other visitors. If you would rather not have other visitors view your email address, leave your greeting or message here and send me an email with your address in the body. An email may be sent to me through the link on my home page.

Nickname:

URL:http://

Email:

City and State:

Your Comments:




The original guestbook

The following is the guestbook as it appeared for almost all the time it was there. The first comment is a test comment by me, but the second one was real. I have blocked part of the email name, but it was complete originally.


Title: Past Visitors to Stephen Morgan's Guestbook


Welcome to my Guestbook! Entries of past visitors may be viewed here.

Sahid sumitro - 11/11/00 23:05:56
[thin blue line]
[thin blue line]
My Email:--------@yahoo.com
City and State: indonesia
Comments:
I want to look for guide book of visual foxpro,
If you don't mind, help me please... and send me a book.

thnaks
[thin blue line]

S. Morgan - 08/02/00 06:25:46
My URL:http://whereeveriam.com
My Email:www@http.com
City and State: Whereiam, US
Comments:
This IS a test.
[thin blue line]


My Home Page
Explore Yahoo! GeoCities
Get your own free homepage




Testing the original guestbook

The following three test entries were deleted and replaced by one with more obscure info, as shown above. The ones below appeared for only a short time.


Title: Past Visitors to Stephen Morgan's Guestbook


Welcome to my Guestbook! Entries of past visitors may be viewed here.

S. Morgan - 08/01/00 14:10:20
City and state: field 4
Comments:
Test 3.

S. Morgan - 08/01/00 14:08:34
My URL:http://anywhere.com
My Email:field 3
City and state: field 4
Comments:
Test 2.

S. Morgan - 08/01/00 14:02:01
My Email:Scottsdale, AZ
Comments:
This is my message to myself. This IS a test.


My Home Page
Explore Yahoo! GeoCities
Get your own free homepage




The new guestbook

The following is the new guestbook with my comment as it appeared, with the end cut off. Unlike the prior guestbook, the new one used a common storage area at Yahoo for the guestbook leave-a-comment and view-comments pages and for the data, so nothing for it appeared at my site. The only access was through links, which i didn't install on my web page, as there were only hours left before GeoCities shut down. I accessed the guestbook myself by pasting the links directly into the browser address bar.


First Name : Stephen
URL : http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Comment : This is the first and likely only comment, as the GeoCities site is closing down today (its 2:03 AM Monday, October 26, 2009 now), and I am not likely to add the Guestbook links to my home page. It already has such links, but the Sign option no longer wor

[narrow double red line]


Return to Web Site Sign Guestbook




The comment in full

The following is my comment as it was actually written:

This is the first and likely only comment, as the GeoCities site is closing down today (it's 2:03 AM Monday, October 26, 2009 now), and I am not likely to add the Guestbook links to my home page. It already has such links, but the Sign option no longer works, evidently because of a change in how it's done.





My Time at Geocities
My Geocities Homepage
My Geocities Guestbook
Resume
Program List
Utility Programs, Part I - Printers
Utility Programs, Part II - Error handlers
Programs, Part I
Programs, Part II
Programs, Part III
Programs, Part IV

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts . . . . Older Posts