Thursday, October 01, 2009

Sick in the South Seas

This is a story that I did for a message board, on a thread normally concerned with comically constructing new words and definitions. They were at that time doing exercises where a user gave a short list of words and other users then wrote a story containing those words. The story is changed slightly here in that it is broken up into several paragraphs instead of being contained in just one.

This is another of my stories from my post number 1000 for that message board. The list of words for this story: parrot, appendicitis, monsoon, implant, crater.

This story is dated 9:23 PM, December 1, 2006, Arizona time (MST).


SICK IN THE SOUTH SEAS

A south sea island is a bad place to get sick. Doctors can be hard to find when you need one. Especially if you really, really need one. My stomach was really hurting by the time I found him. He looked a little questionable, but by that time I felt I had no choice.

He told me to sit on the table, which I did. He poked at my stomach for awhile while I gritted my teeth and tried to break holes in the table with my fingers.

He finally said that I had appendicitis, but that I was in luck. He had some new treatment for it that he had invented himself. It was some device that he would put in my abdomen, plus some mysterious injections of some kind. Everything would be taken care of, he said, without the need for major surgery.

He began to gather his instruments, his needles, mysterious vials of liquid, and the device he was going to implant. His parrot, on a nearby table, looked at me intently. Too intently.

The doctor brought everything over and began to work. I wished he'd given me some anesthesia, but that didn't seem to be part of his mysterious injections.

Finally, he was done and stepped back. Way back. "We should know shortly," he said, "if it's going to work." If it's going to work?

Suddenly, my appendix exploded, leaving a huge crater. Blood and gore rained down all over, like some nightmarish monsoon.

The doctor stood there, covered in blood, tears streaming silently down his face. Finally he spoke, murmuring, "It worked, it worked."

The parrot hopped over and peered into the gaping wound, then stuck in a claw and said, "Does it hurt here?"

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Word Imp said...

Interesting! What amazing things have been going on with word games since I've been away from blogging! Very impressive. Just wanted to let you know I'm back and so is my Word Imperfect blog. Hope you can visit soon.

7:03 PM, October 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts . . . . Older Posts