Friday, December 31, 2010

National Novel Writing Month 2010 - Winner!

I was a winner for National Novel Writing Month 2010, meaning that I managed to write a novel of at least 50,000 words during the month (November). I completed it, at least the rough draft, on November 26, 2010, but didn't get the word count verified by the website until the next day. MS Works, which I wrote it in, put the word count at 53,076, and the website put the word count at 53,077. This was a little higher than last year's novel, which had word counts of 52,110 and 52,111. The book for 2010 was a sequel of the 2009 one. I joined National Novel Writing Month [ nanowrimo.org ] on March 20, 2009, as user Stephen_M_99.

Quite a few winner web badge images were available this year. Last year I showed them and said I would choose one to display in the sidebar, but I never did. I think I will just do what I did last time, and show them here, in the blog post. If forced to make a choice, I would probably choose the long one at the bottom.

NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!
NANOWRIMO 2010 WINNER!


My novel is science fiction, and I described it as follows in the Novel Info section:

Synopsis:

A sequel to last year's novel, the man who was forced into being a time and dimension traveler for a mysterious agency goes through many ordeals and adventures in a learning process, and continues to create his own past.


Excerpt:

"Have you any idea where she might have gone?"

Jack looked at the creature, then looked away. "Not really. She left a note saying she was going to the store, but I don't think that's what happened. She's been gone two days, and someone's been bringing in the newspapers and mail."

"She's been gone that long, and you haven't done anything?"

Jack twisted in his seat. "I somehow time traveled, to two days after she left."

"I see. Why don't you just travel back and see who took her?"

"I can't," Jack said miserably, "I can't. Other people, or... things... are doing it for me. Or to me. I have no control over it, and I don't know what's going on."

"You really do have a problem, don't you?"

"Yes."

There was silence for a moment.

"I can travel a bit, you know," the creature said. "I can try to go back and see."

"You can? Can I come with you?"

"Yes, of course. Come, we'll stand over here." It walked over to the area by the sink. Jack shrugged. It seemed as good a place as any. He walked over, and the thing took hold of his arm. Jack flinched inwardly.

"Here, here, there's no need to be like that. I'm trying to help you, you know."

Jack stared at the hand on his arm. It was a hand. The nails looked a little funny, kind of like short dark claws, but there were fingers and a thumb. The hand connected to a wrist, which was perhaps a little too hairy, but not much, which connected to an arm, which disappeared up the long sleeved shirt. Jack stared at the shirt. It was wearing clothes. It had always been wearing clothes, he realized, he just didn't want to think about it, and somehow hadn't thought about it. Maybe it made it too much like a man.

He stared at its face. It looked serenely back at him. "Do you have a name?" Jack asked.

"Of course. Would you like to hear it?"

"Yes."

"I'm a bit embarrassed about it, actually. They seem to have had a bit of a sense of humor when they named me. It's Bowser."

"Bowser?" Jack chirped.

"Yes. Technically, Bowser Tiberius Smith. Don't ask."

"Okay."

"I suppose you could call me Mr. Smith, but that seems so formal. Anyway, technically it's Dr. Smith."

"You're a doctor?"

"It's a PhD. Don't worry about it."

"Okay..."

"Why don't you just call me Bozo. It's a nickname they gave me."

Jack stared at him. "I... don't think I can do that."

"Oh? How odd. Bonzo, then?"

"No."

It sighed. "Very well. Just call me Douglas and be done with it."

Douglas the dog? At least it would be easy to remember.



Last years novel:

National Novel Writing Month 2009 - Winner!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts . . . . Older Posts